what experts say II

 Fake News and False Advertisement aren’t too different. Everyone has seen commercials proposing a magical cure to a common ailment, or heard lines equating a popular soft drink to gaining superpowers. None of those are real, but sometimes they skirt reality just enough that people will believe it.

Social media exists on advertisements. There are constant costs associated with running these services. None of them are free, even if you’ve never paid a cent to use them. As such, they need advertisements, and advertisers need to stretch the truth to be heard in the sea of information.

Fake News can be used for monetary gain. If face masks are the hot topic, a company can advertise theirs as working better, even if it’s not true. But it can’t be disproven, at least not in a single ad space.The commonality of Fake News in advertising makes it particularly dangerous. 

Comments

  1. When talking about fake news, I always think of politics/news. I never connected it to advertising, so I am really glad you made this point. I only wish you had expanded more, I would be very interested to know how effective these adds actually are, or what percentage of advertisements use this form of presenting their product/service. Overall I like your choice of topic, it is a very recent one. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My View

for further research